Sunday, 8 September 2013

Miss World goes on despite protests Nasik Swami

Miss Fiji Caireen Erbsleben, fifth from right, with other contestants at the 63rd Miss World Pageant in Bali. Picture: SUPPLIED
AMID anti-Miss World protests going on in Indonesia, Fiji's representative Caireen Erbsleben and the other 130 contestants at the global pageant are safe.
Miss World Fiji national director Andhy Blake said with safety being paramount, extended measures were taken by the Indonesian Government towards the safety and smooth running of the event.
"Miss Fiji, along with 130 other contestants, are completely safe despite mounting reports against protests towards the Miss World pageant in Indonesia," Mr Blake said.
Miss World chairwoman Julia Morley had not confirmed moving the finals to Bali on September 28 over safety issues.
"Miss World contestants, staff and the organisation are under heavy guard, including extra security being beefed up at both Bali International Airport and sea ports on the resort island."
Miss Fiji yesterday participated in the beach beauty competition.
Meanwhile, AFP reported Indonesian officials were moving the final of the pageant to Bali, after days of hardline Muslim protests in Java.
Thousands of protesters have taken to the streets, with some dressing as goats in Miss World sashes and others burning images of the pageant organisers.
The competition's organisers earlier promised to make contestants wear sarongs during the bikini fashion segment.
The winner is scheduled to be crowned at a venue outside the capital on September 28.
According to media reports, a human rights commissioner, government minister and Muslim groups have also voiced their opposition to the event, arguing it exploits women and is an export of Western hedonism.
Last year, pop sensation Lady Gaga called off a concert after protests against her for wearing only undergarments.

No comments:

Post a Comment